Monday, June 08, 2009

Motherly Wisdom

While we were in Atlanta, we saw the movie UP and really liked it. It was poignant, exciting, cute, witty, adventurous, funny and thrilling. I have learned not to recommend movies to my parents any more, because it turns out that their past hurts and present stage of life caused them to feel saddened and depressed by the very same movie that we so enjoyed.
Because we liked the movie so much, we decided then and there to add it to our small, but growing collection of Blu-ray discs... sometime in the future. We talked openly at my parents' about how we thought it would be a great, wholesome kids film, and, mainly because of the dog, Doug and the bird, Kevin, we thought Eden would really like to watch it. Just like anything anyone says when they think of it first off, we reevaluated after we got home and decided that she definitely couldn't sit through a whole movie in a theater yet, and that there were too many scary scenes with mean dogs and the bird getting hurt, etc. All in all, not a great idea for her to see it yet. Just another one on our list along with Wall-E and others that she'll enjoy someday.
Well...
I got an email today. I want all opinions from other moms with moms to balance my perspective here please. The email I got was from my concerned mother about why it wasn't a good idea for us to let Eden see UP. She copied an excerpt from a Baby Center article about how a child under 3 doesn't have the ability to focus long enough for a full-length movie. Then she continued with the concerns her and my dad had about the scary scenes and other stuff too. At the end, she capped it off with how much she trusts God and us with Eden and knew we would do the right thing.
I was bristly after reading it. She couldn't possibly know that Chuck and I had already thought through all that, but I guess I would have appreciated her just putting out a feeler question... "Are y'all still thinking of taking Eden to see UP?" Then she wouldn't have had to stress about all her issues and would have been able to hear that it wasn't even a question with us any more. Am I being too touchy that she just sent me this email of admonishment? I really like the fact that they were involved parents while I was growing up and had something to say (Biblically) about every aspect of life we, as a family, encountered. This email is pretty much just an extension of that... a continuance. And I wish now that it wouldn't continue so much. I don't want to shun the wisdom offered from my parents...
I just want to ask for it first.

What do you think?

No comments: