Monday, June 29, 2009

A Great Idea

....from the Parent Hacks website.  There's a link to it under "Places I Go" in my sidebar.  What a great site.  There are so many useful ideas here.  Just reading this site everyday can make you the supermom you always envied.  Really what you envy most is peoples' bright ideas and organizational tools that make mommyhood easier, right?  Well, this site is a compilation of all the ideas and tools you wish you had, but are free to steal to make your existence easier (and make others envious).
One I read recently that was right up my alley has to do with how to get a toddler to stay in bed even if they wake up early.  We're on the verge of beginning the process of moving Eden to a toddler bed because we'll need the crib for the new arrival.  Right now, if she wakes up at 6 or 6:30, she can talk, grab a book through the crib slats out of the wagon next to her crib, or fuss.  If mommy doesn't respond to the fussing, she can't come waltzing into my room because she's stuck in her crib.  (I fully realize that I am blessed not to have a climber.)  What happens when there are no rails to hold her in, though?  She would be out of bed first thing, no jabbering to herself and no reading.  
I've known about this "My Tot Clock" all-in-one sleep aid, night light, alarm clock and timer for some time now.  It has so many bells and whistles that I really wasn't looking for and the cost seems over the top to me.  I just wanted a way to signal to Eden that she's not allowed to get out of the bed yet... while I stay cozily in mine.


Here's the alternative - Marie's little one was an early riser and would wake her again and again just to ask if it was time to get up.  Solution:

"She was too small to read a clock, and although telling her to look for a "6" was an option, she didn't quite get it that 5 was not OK, but 7 was. I was looking for a simple "yes/no" cue that did not require her to do too much thinking if she were to wake up in the middle of the night. I did not want to set an alarm, because I didn't want to disturb her sleep if she were to sleep in.

My hack inspiration came from an electrical appliance timer. I used it to rig her night light to turn off at 6am and told her she was to stay quiet and in her room until the light turned off. After a minor setback when she turned off the light manually to make it "time to get up," it has worked like a charm!"


So smart...

and inexpensive!


No comments: