Friday, October 30, 2009

The Uncomfortableness that is Halloween

We didn't celebrate Halloween when I was growing up. I agree with the choice my parents made and I never missed the candy. When I was in grade school, our church had a "Hallelujah Night" and I remember playing games and dressing up as a princess or other non-scary character for a few years running.
Not only did I not know I was missing anything when I was little, I don't remember ever having to explain to friends why I didn't go from house to house threatening a trick if I wasn't given a treat. It was just what it was. My parents explained their reasoning to me, but I didn't really relay it to anyone else.
Now, as a parent, I realize how hard choices like that sometimes can be. Not only are you not doing what everyone else is, but explaining why (or just mentioning your inclination not to participate) can get very uncomfortable. After all, doesn't a particular choice on someone's part usually mean that they consider the other choice unacceptable and even wrong? Therefore, without saying it, I feel as though I am not only explaining my family's choice, but also condemning the person to whom I am speaking (assuming their choice is different from mine). Not to mention we are probably considered the fuddy-duddy family in our neighborhood for not passing out candy.
All that being said. I wasn't sure I even wanted to write this post... but my blog is about getting to know me. This is what's on my mind right now and is something that will be a part of me for years of Octobers to come. I found a pretty concise explanation on the K-Love webpage that explains more of my reasoning if you're interested. You can read it here.

Oh geez. Butterfly Kisses just came on. Excuse me, but I HAVE to change it before I start bawling...

No comments: