Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Haircut


I'm getting a haircut in two days and in an effort to still have something fun and unique in the way of a hairstyle while I grow it out (once again), I've been scouring the net looking for medium length styles. I ran across a really nice look modeled by Gwyneth Paltrow. I've never really been a fan of her long limp locks, but I think she really did a great thing here and jazzed it up a bit with some waves and a bit of asymmetry.


Ever since I was little, my mom instilled in me a perfectionists heart that can really get me in trouble sometimes. That perfectionism extended to hairstyling as well. Mom used to be a hairdresser, so she cut, permed, colored and styled my hair as I was growing up. Yes, permed. I grew up in the 80's people and she did her best to keep me stylish. Failed miserably, but did her best.
During college, I remember deciding not to use a comb to perfectly part my hair one day. I'd always made sure in the past that each hair was on it's own correct side of the part. No single hair mussing up the straight line of scalp. This gets especially tricky with hairstyles parted all the way down the back. I would often devote more time in the mornings to doing my hair before dance class if I intended to do two "Princess Leia" buns or two braids, or other center parted updos (which I used to break up the monotony of the single bun chosen most often by dancers).
I felt daring and even naughty for not bothering to make sure each hair was perfectly placed that day. From that time on, I stopped being so meticulous about my parts and just let my hair fall naturally where it liked. I found it freeing. :) It's still hard for me to totally give in to the trend of the "messy" updo, or to not take the time to make sure each curl has the same spring as the others when using a curling iron to style my hair.
So, with a background like this, you can surmise that getting an asymmetrical cut is not in my nature. I think the nice thing about this one is that it's not too obvious and you could emphasize or de-emphasize it depending on your mood. I want options people! There just aren't that many when you're trying to grow your hair out. We'll see what I end up with on Thursday. I'll post a pic, of course, so you can see too.

No comments: