Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Your Baby Can Read: 5 Weeks In

Eden loves the second video! And by loves, I mean she gets upset when I try to sneak in the first video instead, but she still gets very distracted throughout and really only pays attention during the songs.
I AM concerned about two things she's being exposed to through these videos: a girl who sthpeaksth with a listhp, and really bad poetry. Dr. Titzer, the creator of the YBCR program used his daughter Aleeka for many of the voice-overs and video demonstrations. That's all good and well, except that "The seal is sleeping." becomes "The stheal isth sthleeping." The second version is not really how I would like Eden to say it.
There are both songs and poems on the videos. Songs are fine (Eensy, Weensy Spider, If You're Happy and You Know it, and the like), but the poems... ew. Why didn't they just do some nursery rhymes or something actually written by a poet. Instead it's "Lauren is reaching for a toy, and Brendan drinks from his bottle with joy." With joy? Ok. i understand they want to incorporate the words they are learning into the poem, but I would think they could have done better. I could have done better. There, I said it.

No comments: