Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Craft Bug Bites Again


Here's a close-up of the belt I made this morning. I nominated a little-used belt from my closet to donate it's rings for this belt. At least the rings can have a better life now and I may be able to find a use for the previous belt as trim of some kind. The fabric I used is extra from my laptop sleeve project. Yes, I'm attempting to make a laptop sleeve for my MacBook. I don't guarantee I will actually succeed, but I'm going to try. Hopefully, i will think that project out a little better than this one. You'd think a belt would be simple, but noooooo, not for Miss Ultra-Novice Sewer here.
I knew enough to know that I needed to sew the right sides of the fabric together in a tube and then turn the tube right-side out, but I found out that it's a little difficult to turn it right-side out when you've sewn both ends shut.
There was another mishap that would be too hard to explain without pictures (I should probably document with pictures next time, so that everyone can share in the painful process with me). After I remedied that issue, I discovered that, because of my idea to use the two rings as my closure method, when I tried the belt, the wrong side of the belt showed on the end I pulled through the rings. So, I had the seam showing that I had so cleverly hidden. *sigh* I'm sure it's not that big of a deal and no one will notice, but I was just reminded of the fact that I shouldn't aspire to sell my work any time soon. Man, that would be way too much pressure. I can live with all my little mistakes, but I would want others to have to.

Next, I have for your viewing pleasure an almost completed project for baby Arielle. Once again, this is actually an attempt at a slightly different project gone wrong, but I'm a good salvager.



I was trying to make pants for Eden from the other fabric also leftover from my laptop sleeve. I made them plenty long enough, but the waist and hips are so tiny, I couldn't even pull them up past her thighs. Suddenly, they became Arielle's instead of Eden's and since I had to cut off the bottom of each leg to make it shorter, I thought I would just complicate things and try to add a little accent fabric at the bottom. There was only one issue with adding the fabric at the bottom, but I fixed it so you can't tell from the outside of the pants. (Once again, totally unsellable.) The only thing left to do is add the butterfly fabric as an applique to a 3 month onesie I pulled from Eden's stash. The question is; do I attempt the applique myself, or pay one of my friends who has done it before $5 to do it?

No comments: