Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Matrix: Part Three

I began reading a book a couple of nights ago by Timothy Keller titled "The Reason For God." I've only read the first 20 pages or so, but already I can tell that it's a perfect book for me to read right now. The author "uses literature, philosophy, real-life conversations, and reasoning to explain how faith in a Christian God is a soundly rational belief, held by thoughtful people of intellectual integrity with a deep compassion for those who truly want to know the truth" according to the book jacket.
Here's a quote from the introduction that I bet a lot of people I know would identify with.

"I seemed to see two camps before me, and there was something radically wrong with both of them. The people most passionate about social justice were moral relativists, while the morally upright didn't seem to care about the oppression going on all over the world. I was emotionally drawn to the former path-what young person wouldn't be? Liberate the oppressed and sleep with who you wanted! But I kept asking the question,'If morality is relative, why isn't social justice as well?' This seemed to be a blatant inconsistency..."

He goes on to explain what the third option would look like. A group of Christians who are intelligent, can answer for their faith and who are compassionate people, in touch with the needs of a dying world.
From my last blog entry, you might think that I have come to the conclusion that I am not living right unless I have alienated my secular friends and left them with Bibles lodged in their esophagases. On the contrary, I want to learn how to draw them, to be the person they can talk to without worry of offense or condemnation. Vaguely similar to where I started right?
Here's what I know. I want a balance. My purpose should be neither to alienate nor to make comfortable. My only goal should be to say what is needed at the time. If that means making someone uncomfortable by telling them that they can't be neutral about Jesus, then so be it. If that means just listening to their point of view quietly so that they know I'll also be there to listen to their worries and fears, then so be it. If that means being strange and "religious," fine. If that means I'm respected and sought for good discussion, fine.
See, I've been trying to cause a certain outcome and I've directed all my actions around that goal. I've been dependant on the end result (being liked and well-thought-of) to make me think I've succeeded. I should, instead, follow the Spirit in each moment, disregarding the outcome and realizing that success is obedience.
After all, we are living in the matrix. This world is not our home. All we strive for in our flesh becomes trivial when compared to eternity. If I can just work that into my soul, I won't be scathed by the bullets the enemy (and my own mind) create to prevent me from sharing Christ with others. I only have one lifetime. I only have one chance. This is my purpose and my calling.

No comments: