Friday, January 23, 2009

Favorite Friday

This video isn't necessarily a favorite, it's more informative than anything. This is a video of Ursula singing "Poor Unfortunate Souls" in the Broadway production of The Little Mermaid. I am, in three hours, going to be setting some choreography on an Ursula in a local college production. I looked to this video for some inspiration, but, as you can see, she pretty much does nothing except talk and sing. I feel a bit like I'm flying blind. I know how to choreograph and I love to, but choreography for a musical production is different than anything I've ever done.
These people have to sing AND dance at the same time. I don't know yet if they can turn their backs on the audience while singing because I don't know if there are microphones on their person or hanging from the ceiling or any at all. I don't know how big the stage is or how talented the people are that I will be teaching. I don't know how cheesy the director wants to go or how much the actors will be able to contribute. There's a lot I don't know, but I'm excited (and nervous) to find out. I've got a basic structure for the piece and some ideas that I can go different directions with when I'm in the midst of it all. I'm really, really hoping it all goes smoothly tonight.
And that's the piece I'm less concerned about....
I'm also doing a group production for "Some Enchanted Evening" where I'm teaching at least 5 couples some Fox Trot choreography. I have them (hopefully) entering and exiting the stage at specific times and (hopefully) transitioning into a couple of different formations. I really hope I didn't plan too much for them. They've never had ballroom before and it will probably seem like a foreign language. It did to me even with years of dance training.
Did I mention I'm nervous?

No comments: