Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Evolution of a Shower

before pregnancy: occasionally think about how nice a hot shower is, but typically just take one to get clean and try to remember to shave while I'm in there.

during the end of pregnancy: stand or bend over for 5-10 minutes at a time just relaxing in the wonderfully soothing hot water. wish that I could still see and/or reach all the places I'd like to shave so I wouldn't have to walk around big as a whale and hairy too.

after baby arrives: cry in the shower because of the stress, lack of sleep and the fact that I'm so sore from breastfeeding that I don't want to stand facing the stream of water.

3 months old: who's showering?

6 months old: hope that she'll entertain herself in the bedroom just long enough for a quick shower. wish that I had the time that I did back when I was pregnant to just stand in the water and relax. what's shaving?

9 months old: take a shower only when really needed because there's no relaxation at all involved when you have a screaming, crying baby sitting right outside on the bathmat wanting mommy.

12 months old: begin to realize what other moms talk about when they say they have no privacy any more. showers now include baby pulling back the curtain and babbling and pointing, making me a bit self-conscious...

today: shower with baby banging on the closed bathroom door and yelling what sound like baby obscenities at the top of her voice. at least I got a shower without an audience. stop to check that there is, in fact, a lock on the bathroom door and plan to utilize it next time, just in case.

No comments: