Monday, August 31, 2009

The Sewing Continues


Here is a kimono top I made for Eden from this pattern.  This is the same pattern I used for baby Devlin's kimono and pant set, but I had to alter it quite a bit.  It was a combination of cutting the pattern pieces wrong (imagine that) and the fact that Eden must be rounder than it allows for.  I also had to alter the neck to make it curved in the back instead of straight across, or it would pucker.  You can't really tell, but there are triangular panels of that orange flower accent fabric on either side to make it more of an a-line.  I think it's quite pretty on her.  It definitely needs a shirt underneath, which wasn't the original intention, but will be perfect for cooler weather.  I'll post a picture the whole thing on my little model when I get the pants done.

Here's the other v-neck t-shirt I bought at the same time as the pink one.  I had different plans for it.  I had seen these scrappy looking approximations of flowers that I thought were kind-of charming.  I decided to try it.  This hasn't been washed yet and I expect the edges of the "flowers" to fray, which should be interesting.  I can't decide if I'm in love with it or if it's weird looking.  It's hard to know if you saw something in a boutique that you hadn't made whether or not you would like it.  That's art for ya... well, for me anyway.  As the artist, I know the process, the flaws, the details... and it's hard to just see the big picture and make a judgement.
I'm thinking about adding some leaves to the 
top one (maybe the bottom one too) to clue in the observer to the flower idea.  What do you think?


2 comments:

Just His Best said...

I love it!! You need to Etsy those!!! :)

Sara said...

Thanks! I got some good reactions the first time I wore it.