Friday, August 28, 2009

Good News and Bad News

The good news is I think I've found someone to document the birth.  It's still gonna be a good chunk of change, but I feel like what she wants to charge is much, much more reasonable than the other photographer I was seriously talking to.  We had a very nice conversation over the phone and she sounds very sweet.  She said she would be really honored and excited to have the opportunity to document such a special event.  She gave me one flat fee for the whole shebang.  I call her when I'm in labor, she comes to the house, follows us to the hospital and stays to take newborn shots.  
She's also including a photo shoot within the first two weeks of baby at home and all the shots on CD with rights to edit and print.  Exactly what I wanted plus the bonus photoshoot after the birth!  I honestly wasn't super thrilled with the photos she had on her webpage.  They were adequate and better than any of my friends can do, but nothing was making me go "wow!"  She directed me to her Facebook page where there were some more recent shots and, thank goodness, those pictures had more of what I was looking for.  I have one more query out to a local photographer and I'm waiting on that reply before I commit, but I really think I've found who we're going to use.

Now the bad news.  I've been up and down about Creative Co-Motion.  I was very proud of myself for starting a business, but, having never started a business before (especially while pregnant and emotional) I did not realize how hard it is to keep a baby business going.  I had 9 students my first month, which I was pleased with since my limit was 12.  I ordered business cards and handed them out, created an official blog and a business email address.  I ended up with about 5 students that were consistently attending class and we had great fun.  
I wasn't quite ready to advertise, because I didn't want to advertise for September, get an influx of new students and then decide to quit in October for preggo reasons and leave my new students high and dry. 
No advertising = no backup = not enough students to continue in September.  Business sense, you know?
Not enough students to continue in September = one disappointed dance teacher.  I was really excited to get back a little of the dance teacher identity that I'd lost since becoming a mom, but I wasn't ready for the business aspect of it all.
I guess I'll just wait until next year and attempt to calculate the emotional cost of trying this again.
Experiences like this are reminders that it is so easy to try to find our fulfillment in things other than Christ.  My identity is not dancer or teacher or even mom, but child of God.
Some verses to remind you of this truth too...

John 15:5I am a branch of Jesus Christ,
the true vine, and a channel
of His life.
John 15:16I have been chosen and
appointed to bear fruit.
1 Corinthians 3:16I am God's temple.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21I am a minister of
reconciliation for God.
Ephesians 2:6I am seated with Jesus Christ
in the heavenly realm.
Ephesians 2:10I am God's workmanship.
Ephesians 3:12I may approach God with
freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13I can do all things through
Christ, who strengthens me.

3 comments:

Amanda Jones said...

I loved your class and I hope you continue in Jan. It is hard starting a business and I had to cancel my first sign class too. It was disappointing but I just handed it to God and he always takes care of our problems!! I hope you continue to grow your business because I can tell your passionate about and that's all it takes!!!!!!!

Amy S. Norris said...

i cannot even begin to tell you how suprised and shocked i CONTINUE to be about starting a business, keeping it going, all while trying to remain a mom. it is tough sara - please don't give up on yourself. louisa had the best time and she still talks about "listenin to mes sara" and marches around the house. so, instead of being emotional and disappointed, be excited that you made a difference in at least one toddler (who is very difficult to please, might i add)! :)

Sara said...

Thanks for the encouragement business mommies!