Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Baby Lucas Spoiler


For some reason posting a picture gives me some amount of closure and satisfaction to what is otherwise a pretty stressful event... sewing.  It's probably my own fault that it's stressful.  I take on patterns and tutorials that are above my abilities and training.... um, what training?  That's the other part of the problem, no idea what i'm really doing.  I know how to thread my machine and to change the thread color to match my project.  I know that turning the switch on the side sends the electricity to it so that when I push the pedal the needle goes up and down.  I can pick the straight stitch or the zig-zag stitch by turning a dial to match the picture of the stitch I want.  (by the way, I just kind-of eenie, meenie, minee, moe it when it comes to picking the stitch)  The last problem is choosing to try to make things purely by sight.  By that, I mean with no pattern whatsoever, just eyeing it.  I look at a garment and say, "hmm, that looks simple enough" and then I try to cut out fabric pieces that look like they might make that garment when stitched together.
It's pretty absurd really... and very stressful.  
Why do I do that!?  I really have no idea what continues to compel me.  I think that I forget (like having a baby) the pain of the last project and think it will really be a fun adventure this time.  And parts of it are thrilling.  And parts of it are fun.  And parts of it are.... grrr.


I had to finish this outfit by Friday because we're bringing it to Atlanta with us to give to our friends for their new baby Lucas.  Chuck took Eden out for a bit (because all the above risk factors are only compounded by a toddler in the sewing room) and I finally finished it.  Mostly.  I still have to put elastic in the pants, but that's easy.  No, really, I can usually handle that without messing it up.  Although I DID mess it up not too long ago.  I sewed the two ends of the elastic together not realizing that it had twisted in it's travels through the waistband.  I'll try not to make that mistake this time.

No comments: