Sunday, September 27, 2009

Just for Me

I got some belated birthday money from my father-in-law a couple of weeks ago and I spent it all in the last week on some stuff just for fun. I wanted to share, because I'm excited. I'll tell you what I got and I'll try to give you an update as I use each item. Is this blog getting frou-frou or what? Oh well, I have some deep thoughts I want to write about that I'll get to this week...

My birthday splurges included 6 patterns from WhimsyCouture on Etsy. I got a toddler pants pattern with options for ruffled bottoms, a knot dress pattern, I shirred bodice dress pattern, a ruffle skirt/twirl dress pattern, a criss-cross pinafore top pattern and a peasant top/dress pattern. I figure with those patterns and making a few variations here and there on my own, I should be able to make LOTS of different looks for my two girls... and maybe me as well. I've cut out fabric pieces for two of the patterns already, but haven't started sewing.

I also ordered some makeup and perfume from Sephora. I am constantly looking for THE perfect perfume. I want a signature scent that both I and my husband really love that I can wear for years and be known by. The problem is that I like variety. I don't like having the same haircut, the same makeup colors or the same perfume for very long. There's just too many other options to try and I don't want to miss out. The other problem is that there hasn't really been anything that Chuck has really gone ga-ga for. I want to wear something that will make him swoon, in a manly way. He likes everything I wear, but he just says "That smells good." or "That smells nice." I want him to say "Mmmmm, what is THAT!? You smell positively delicious!" ... or whatever the manly version of that would be.
When I look for scents to try on, I usually look for citrus, not flowers. He always turns up his nose at flowery scents. Unfortunately, those are usually the ones I really love. I came across a scent recently by Philosophy called Falling In Love, tried it on, enjoyed it, let him smell me when he got home and got a pretty decent reaction. He sniffed, leaned away and then leaned back in for another, longer sniff. I kept spritzing it on every few days whenever Eden and I were at or near a place that carried it and he kept giving the same sort-of double take (double smell?) reaction that showed it had piqued his interest. It's a blend of vanilla, florals and berries that neither of us probably would have bothered to sniff if we'd seen the description first.
All that to say, I ordered some from Sephora, as well as a blusher/bronzer duo from Nars in a very embarassing color name. It's apparently (I've learned very recently) the color Nars is known for, their signature color that's supposed to be universally flattering and give a natural flushed glow to the cheeks. What can I say? I'm curious. It came in a set with the bronzer (I don't have a bronzer) and the matching nail polish.
As an added bonus, I'm getting the 3 free samples that come with Sephora orders. Two out of the three, I didn't really care about, but the one I'm really curious to try is a primer. I've never used a make-up primer, never even thought about it, but maybe this will save me re-applying halfway through the day. I also found a code online for a free Philosophy Miracle Worker Skin Care set worth $65. I'm excited to try it because they create their formulas without mineral oil, parabens, pthalates and other yucky stuff. The absence of yuckiness is why I've been using Arbonne for my facial care, but I'm considering not renewing my consultant status this coming June because there are so many other options out there now that are similarly priced that seem equally free of yuck.
It all arrives tomorrow! I'll give my own version of a review after I've tried them out.

No comments: