Monday, September 07, 2009

Humbling Revelations

It's hard to learn about yourself.  Most of the time, when you learn something about yourself, it seems to be uncomfortable and unsavory.  The sermon Sunday was about growing and putting the past behind.  The pastor said that he would take someone telling him he hadn't changed a bit since high school as an insult.  I can see that.  I'm definitely a different person and something would be very wrong if I wasn't.  Hopefully, I'm different because God's growing me.  Hopefully, I can respond to the things He reveals to me about myself with a determination to continue to conform to His image.  Isn't it great that He doesn't show us everything ugly about us all at once?  Sometimes, it's pretty embarrassing to have been oblivious to certain flaws for so long, but He knows when I'm ready to change.  Things like that should make me more gracious to others who have (in my eyes) obvious flaws that they don't seem to be working on.  Hello!  they see the same in me.  
It's so amazing that God can be so loving with us all and knows exactly when we're ready to be receptive to His leading to change.  He doesn't look at us with disdain or disgust as we continue to stumble around and make messes without even realizing it.  He just waits for the perfect time.  He knows us intimately and still wants to know us.  He loves us.  That's just amazing.  I'm amazed and humbled.  Hopefully, I can stay that way for a while.

1 comment:

Just His Best said...

ooh, I'm with you. So with you...