Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Love Color

...but it's a bit overwhelming to be picking paint colors for our house exterior. It's very intimidating. Maybe if I knew we were staying here for a while, I wouldn't be quite as concerned, but I know we need to sell in a little less than four years. I've watched enough HGTV to know that neutrals sell houses, but I don't want to just throw in the towel and settle for "Utterly Beige" or, even better, "Greige." I want some interest, some character, if I'm going to have the chance to pick my house color. I mean, how often do you really get to do that?
Oh the POWER.
Oh the responsibility...
We went to Sherwin Williams two days ago to pick up some paint chips and I found some colors I really like. The color combination I liked the most was complimented, but then shot down by the painter when he came to give an estimate. I picked this really beautiful brown with muted aqua shutters and a creamy color for the trim. He said the colors looked very nice together, but the brown might be too dark on the whole house, which is what Chuck was afraid of. He said it might look depressing to buyers. I thought it would look sophisticated. All the other houses near us are various tones of grey, tan and beige and I do not want ours to look the same as every other house.
Now I'm considering the idea of painting the cedar shake (about 1/5 of the front of our house and 1/3 of the back) the velvety brown and the brick a lighter shade from the same paint swatch. That way, I get my interesting color, but I don't have to be as concerned about putting buyers off because the majority of the house would be the lighter (read - more boring) color. I can still get some personality in there with the aqua shutters and hopefully stand out in a good way with the only house in our neighborhood to have a two-tone exterior.
I'll keep you posted.

No comments: