Monday, April 27, 2009

Miss Politics

I wasn't planning on commenting on the Miss America Pageant gay marriage question and Miss California's response, but I just read an article and I wanted to just put two little quotes here.

Miss California's answer to whether or not she believed in gay marriage: "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

I don't know if she is a Christian, but I'm assuming her belief that marriage is between a man and a woman is rooted in religion.

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California pageant was saddened by her answer and later said, "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

So if all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit, then what's wrong with her religion ordaining that marriage is between a man and a woman!?? (I know the answer to my question, but logically... come on.)

Since when is the pageant about giving answers to the questions that are considered politically or socially acceptable. Isn't it about being able to answer true to what you believe, with poise and ease? If they're going to ask questions that have right and wrong answers, that's a whole different show.

No comments: