Monday, April 27, 2009

Inspired by ClaviceCatcher.blogspot.com

I just read a blog about hungering after God and I remembered something that happened to Chuck and I in Athens, GA.
There are lots of bums that walk the streets. Some of them are known to the college students by name because they're such a part of the downtown Athens scene and they've been there for years. It's not uncommon to be stopped and asked for a few dollars for food. As we strolled along the main drag downtown, we were stopped and asked this very thing. Now, we make it our policy that if we can, we will help someone who's hungry by treating them to a meal, but we will get the meal for them, not give them money. We offered this man dinner at "The Grill" which was about five feet away from us and has an extensive menu ranging from burgers to chicken to salads. (mmmm, they have the BEST feta dipping sauce for their fries and oh! the milkshakes... but that's beside the point) He turned us down! He wanted pizza from a place that was a block away!
I was pretty much infuriated and told him to forget it. We kept walking.

Now isn't that how I am with God sometimes? I say "I'm hungry for you. I need more of You. I want to know you more." He reminds me of his Word, which I have about 10 copies of in easy reach... any flavor, er, translation, I could want. But I say "God, I'd really rather find you in a different way. What else ya got?" The Bible's old hat, or boring, or just plain unexciting to me most times.
Insert conviction here.
Hello! That's like, one of the best ways to get to know someone that you're not talking to face to face. (Although He's provided that option, too) I'm still getting to know my grandpa who passed away a few years ago because he wrote out pages and pages of wonderful information and stories about his life and gave them to me before he died. What a treasure that spiral-bound book is to me. I can learn things I never even knew about him and cherish my memories of him so much more.
We have a series of books from a God who is not dead that tells us story after story about Who He is and what He wants for us. What a treasure! On top of that, His words are living and able to speak to each of us individually. My grandpa's words wouldn't mean anything personal to you, but I'm connected to them. God's words supernaturally connect with each reader, no matter their background or experiences. Amazing!

I'm sorry, Lord, for ignoring the opportunity You've given me to feast on Your Word. I don't want to be exasperating. I don't want to ask You for pizza when You've given me a chance to eat whatever I want from an amazing menu. You prepare a table before me, even in the presence of my enemies. My cup truly does run over. Thank You for following me with goodness and mercy, despite the fact that I can't earn them and don't deserve them.
sigh.
Amen

1 comment:

Just His Best said...

Such a great post and reminder to myself!!!