Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Having a Moment

We leave in two days for Atlanta. (This isn't going to be a post with any sort of theme, by the way. I just thought it had been a few days, so I should update.) We haven't been back to Atlanta since we moved here in May and that's the longest I think either one of us has gone without seeing our families. Everyone is anxious to see Eden, of course and we'll be celebrating the big 27 for Chuck while we're home. I'm kinda nervous. I'm not sure why. I guess anything can seem a little unfamiliar after a few months. Eden is always a bit of a variable, too. Yes we're with family and it's less concerning if she's fussy, but at the same time, even though I might not be concerned there's the "must you ruin every bright and shining moment?" aspect to worry about. Ok, there's a story that needs telling here.
When I was little, actually, my whole life, I only got to see my mom's parents twice a year: at Christmas and in June. Once, when they were visiting, we went to McDonalds to eat. I must have been going through an "I don't want to eat my food" stage. I'll be extremely surprised if Eden ever hits that stage... anyway, my dad tried to make my cheesburger more tempting by cutting it up into small bites, since I wasn't eating it whole. (Man, I can't believe I wouldn't eat a cheesburger. A CHEESBURGER for goodness sake!... I want one now!) I proceeded to burst into tears at which point my grandma stood up in the middle of McDonald's and said "Must you ruin every bright and shining moment?!" It's been a bit of a joke ever since. But, now that my parents have a grand daughter, they have fully realized the preciousness of every moment they have with her.
All this to say that if Eden's unhappy, there's a lot of hullaballoo about what it is that is making her that way and what can be done to fix it. So, if at home, I might just stick her somewhere with some toys or flip on the TV and hold her until she calmed down or got sleepy, there, it will become more complicated... and stressful.
I'm looking forward to the week as a whole. There should be lots of good food, catching up with old friends, time with family, celebration of another successful year in my husbands life, trips to places we miss and plenty of room for general relaxation and fun.
I'm planning on posting Friday, but then you may not hear from me for a week...we'll see.

1 comment:

Just His Best said...

Have a great time, have fun and be careful!