Friday, October 03, 2008

The Telltale Signs

She's learning for sure, 'cause now there's evidence. Hard evidence... and if I knew how to post video, I could show you.

She's learned her first sign, "all done." She gets it a little mixed up with "bye-bye" because, for her, it's basically "bye-bye" with two hands.

She's also learned how to give a kiss, although it's not really a kiss and it's not a sure thing that if you ask, you'll get one. I did get this one on video, but my face is in the way... lame... so you can't actually see her "kiss" my cheek. She just leans in and touches her face to yours. It makes my heart do a little hop-skip, though, even if there's no puckering.

She's responding to "please don't" extremely well. It's so interesting that she can't hide the battle that she's fighting to do what I say. The desire to touch the forbidden thing is often so strong that she vocalizes her frustration. It's not directed at me, though, it's just the inner struggle coming out. That actually helps me know that she's really trying hard. And I'm so proud of her everytime she chooses obedience.

The other thing she has learned (and I didn't realize it until today) is, when the dog barks there's supposed to be yelling. Oopsy. Yes, I, more often than not, yell at the dog whenever she barks, because it's usually at nothing or at a common houshold sound, or at someone (namely Chuck) knocking on a table or cabinet right in front of her just to marvel at how stupid she can really be. So today, after her dinner, Eden heard Dolce bark and her response was to yell a few choice words in a very stern tone. Oopsy.

No comments: