Monday, July 28, 2008

Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii



I am really conflicted about this story I read today. I heard on the radio about this girl in New Zealand whose actual name is Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. Can you imagine? She's nine years old and she tells everyone to just call her K because she's so embarrassed. Her parents are now in a custody battle over her and the court has ruled that she should be in the court's custody until she is renamed. The judge says her name is a handicap and, in fact, is not a girl's name at all.
Granted, this is a REDICULOUS name for a child and I really feel for the poor girl whose identity has been wrapped up in this embarrassing grouping of words for 9 years... but... where's the line? In this article, they mention some other preposterous names that have been chosen in New Zealand in the past such as Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Stallion, Twisty Poi, Keenan Got Lucy, Sex Fruit and a set of twins named Benson and Hedges, after the cigarette brand. Well, even though I personally wouldn't name a kid Stallion, Benson or Hedges, I don't think these names should be off limits to parents. I don't think the children with these names would be socially handicapped, do you? Even if you don't agree with me, the point is that the whole thing is so subjective. On the other hand, I'm glad the court is letting Talula change her name. On the other hand, who is a judge to say what is a girl's name and what isn't? I think celebrities lately have named their kids a crazy bunch of crazy names, but that's all we need is one more thing for people to bring lawsuits about. I'm conflicted, but I do know one thing, nobody can call me crazy now.

No comments: