Thursday, March 19, 2009

Notes on a Sermon

I've been wanting to share some insights I wrote in my journal during a sermon by a man named John Ragsdale. Our church partners with he and his family in their ministry. He's a songwriter/worship leader/preacher, which is an interesting combination and a bit of a tough one to swallow. After worship (after we had all done the "greet your neighbor" thing and sat) and before he started preaching, he began singing. He started the background music and vocals from his laptop right on stage and began belting. I was into it for one song, but then he kept going and all of a sudden, I was uncomfortable. Are we worshiping again, or is this a concert?
You would think I would have absolutely no issues with performances geared toward worship in a church setting, but I do. I myself have performed many times a choreographed dance when all eyes were on me (a performance) as a means to share my love of God and lead the congregation to worship Him through my movements. I know there are folks out there who struggle with that. I don't... but I do struggle with singing performances... at least, extended singing performances, like a mini concert, in a Sunday morning setting.
As I write, I'm picking apart my own thoughts. What about Christian artists who give concerts? That's fine. It's a different venue. So the church building isn't the right venue? No, it's not that. It's the fact that it's happening when there's supposed to be a sermon. So Sunday morning church should be completely scripted the same way every week? God can't reach people except through a sermon?
Obviously, my discomfort is illogical, but, none the less, it is there.
That wasn't what was written in my journal... :) Once he began speaking, he had some really thought provoking things to say that jolted me out of my raised-in-church, yes-I-know-the-chapter-and-verse, hold-on-a-sec-and-I'll-tell-you-the-Greek-word-for-that upbringing I had. It's wonderful, wonderful to know so many of the MVV's (most valuable verses) by the time you're 10, but that also allows complacency in how you process them as an adult. Same goes for popular words no one but Christians use: grace, mercy, abundance.
Abundance is what I wanted to touch on. I've always claimed abundance. While I would be praying for "life and that more abundantly" (John 10:10) I was imagining health and money. Life to me meant health, living, thriving. Abundance sounded like money. Of course, I knew I would need to use it wisely to bless others... Anyway, John Ragsdale offered another perspective on abundant life that I really enjoyed.
He said an abundant life won't look like the world. An abundant life is one where you have an amazing marriage that's still solid after decades. An abundant life is one where you have raised kids that love God and love each other and are sharing that love with the world. An abundant life is one where you are leaving a legacy of faith, not only with your children, but also with friends who know He's real because of you.
That's good stuff. That's something to aspire to. That's something to seek God for. The world can have health and money, but it's only through God that your relationships can be complete, and your legacy can be lasting.

No comments: