Tuesday, June 03, 2008

perfect pitch

I was reading Proverbs 2 yesterday and came across a verse that resonated with me. It says "tune your ear to wisdom." Since we moved my grandma's piano into our new home, we're going to have to get it tuned. My mom told me to make sure I tell the tuner to tune it to itself, not to true A. It's so old that if it was tuned to true A it would be something like half an octave too low. If it's tuned to itself (as long as no one in the house has perfect pitch) it will actually sound better. I was reminded of that as I read this verse. Often times we just tune our actions, thoughts, words, etc. to ourselves... our idea of what is right, what feels good or what seems best at the time. When we do that, we can often blend in to the world, and even look/sound "in tune" to them, especially since it's rare to find someone with "perfect pitch" when it comes to integrity. We should be tuning ourselves to God's Word, the only real wisdom. If we bring our lives into alignment with God's wisdom, we will be a sweet sound to Him and our lives will make a melody of praise.

No comments: