Friday, June 27, 2008

"...the most deadly appetites are not for the poison of evil, but for the simple pleasures of earth. For when these replace an appetite for God himself, the idolatry is scarcely recognizable and almost incurable." -John Piper
I read this in A Cup of Cold Water's post and I had to blog about it.
We get so distracted, don't we? As "good" as I am and as "pius" as I may seem to friends... it's all meaningless if I'm not connected daily with my God. Since I was raised so well, I know not to sin in those big, obvious ways. I'm actually far less tolerant of the "lesser sins" (you know, the more acceptable ones these days) than most people I know. But the devil knows if he can just keep me distracted all day, he's won. If he can keep me doing time-wasting things, even good wifely things that don't have anything to do with growing my relationship with God, then he's won. It must be so satisfying for him to see me waste another day with no contact with my Savior. Remember how I said I know not to sin in those big, obvious ways...? I'm pretty sure this falls under the category of idolotry. I think idolotry is over there in Exodus in the Big Ten. Um... that's pretty major. The master of deception has done it again.

No comments: