Sunday, June 01, 2008

66 books

Chuck and I finished listening to a series this morning by Andy Stanley, pastor of Northpoint Community Church in Alpharetta. It was about reading the Bible and there were a few randomish things that really hit me.
1st- he was rephrasing what Jesus said at the Last Supper (I think it was then) about having to spill the blood of animals in the past, but that His blood would be spilled as the final sacrifice for the sin of all mankind and that would totally change the way they lived from then on... It just hit me how very "Chronicles of Narnia" that sounded. You know, when Aslan and the White Witch are talking about the old magic or whatever it is, the rules that were made in the beginning of that world... it all sounds so mystical and fairy tale-ish, but that's really how it is. God set up the world a certain way, with certain rules and certain laws. If this, then this, no question about it. What Jesus said at that dinner also sounds kind-of mystical, but that was for real. We are so far removed from that culture today, that it's hard to grasp the concept of blood being shed on a regular basis to atone for sins. Anyway, I can't quite get across exactly what I want to say, but I guess it became less of a tale of another time and more real today.
2nd- I've known this all my life, but it was new again to me today. The Bible isn't one book, it's 66! The amazing thing about it is that it's like having 66 different bound volumes by different authors on your shelf and you can pull one out and read about the commandment about adultery, then you can pull another one out and read about King David breaking that commandment and committing adultery with Bathsheba, then you can pull another one out and read about how he felt after he sinned, then you can pull yet another one out and read about Jesus' response to a woman under the same Law who committed adultery. Totally seperate books, totally seperate accounts, all with a common thread of history leading up to and following the arrival of the Saviour of the world. Incredible.
3rd- Why would I be embarrased about believing historical documents that are some of the most (if not the most) proven in history? Why would I be embarrased about discussing a group of books that talks about the experiences in the history of a nation, and the world? I know why. It's because Satan would rather I be timid and stand-offish with others about the most powerful set of books known to the world. He would rather I be concerned about making someone uncomfortable that mention the group of books that could banish him forever from someone's life. He would rather I talk about acceptable things and stay cool with everyone, than possibly change someone's eternal future by mentioning the things of the Bible. So he tells me that's someone else's resposibility, someone else's calling, not mine. "Just let your life demonstrate God at work in you, don't talk about Him... don't shove Him down their throats. Stay safe. Stay cool."
Selah.

No comments: