Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Update

I thought I should update some things that I've blogged about in the past.
Our church:
We were asked by the pastor the first Sunday we went to please attend at least 9 times before coming to a conclusion about the church. We haven't been anyplace else yet. He clarified why 9 times this past Sunday. He said he had no idea, just seemed like a good odd number that would stick in peoples heads. There you go. That's our down-to-earth pastor for ya. Yes, he still adds syllables at the end of words when he gets passionate and, yes, it still distracts me....but he is passionate. And he is bold. And I appreciate those qualities. I don't have to like his sermon style (very scattered, many bunny trails) or his speaking style to know that he's preaching truth in a time of rampant deception. He's not afraid to step on toes and he loves it when someone feels convicted to change. He's also not afraid to be real and come to a costume party with buck teeth and a ponytail-hat. *scary*
New friends:
I'm still hanging out with that same group of chruch mommies, although the numbers keep thinning. There are only three of us left now, which is sad. I do really enjoy that time and look forward to it every Thursday, even if it's just me and one other mom.
As for friends through the Spouses Alliance, that's not going as well. The Friday playdates haven't been consistent and I've neglected to go to several functions for one reason or another. The Bible study never happened and now, it's kinda awkward to think about getting it started. Maybe something will change in January.
Our house:
We're still not unpacked completely. A few boxes and random piles of stuff have found their home in the hall closet where they are easily ignored. There is still painting that needs to be done. I started the trim in the Master, but never finished and the original plan was to do the trim in all the bedrooms. Then there's also crown moulding to put up. We really need to do that in the next few months or else I'm really gonna start feeling guilty about the nice saw my dad bought us specifically for that project. The fireplace needs a good professional cleaning. We need trees removed from the yard. We need to landscape. I need to figure out how Eden and Dolce are both going to be allowed in the backyard once Eden starts walking. No one goes out there now, so no one has to watch thier step, if you know what I mean.
The town:
We like Jackson. We'll see if, in five years, we can build enough memories to where we might miss it when we leave. Of course, I always miss the people from the places I leave, but the places themselves... not necessarily. Jackson has all we need (except Einstein Bros. Bagles and Moe's and Macy's and Whole Foods). We'll be able to take some neat road trips while we're here. Memphis, Natchez, New Orleans, maybe more. I think it will be a unique time for us to explore a part of the US we might not have bothered to. We still love our neighborhood and our neighbors. Nothing is more than 15 minutes away and most things are 5 minutes away or less. Atlanta can't compete with that. There's lots more in Atlanta, though, that still has us looking forward to when we can make our permanent home there.
The Y:
I have continued to love the opportunity to take a class every day, if I like and be able to get an hour or more away from Eden by utilizing thier childcare. As my pregnancy progresses, I'll be taking advantage of their Fit Pregnancy classes and the option of swimming. That's gonna be SWEET when the summer heat rolls around again and I'm feeling like a whale. I found out that I still haven't taken a Zumba class. Yeah, the instructor that teaches the classes that I've been to is certified, but he doesn't like the Zumba material or music, so he just makes up his own stuff using his Latin dance knowledge and Latin music. So I've really been attending a basic Latin dance class for individuals. hmph! I haven't been recenlty, because it's too early in the morning for me to drag myself out of bed. I feel drugged whenever I wake up, either in the mornings or from a nap, so it's extra hard to get moving.
Teaching:
I've completed my four class series with Salsa Mississippi on Ladies' Styling. They've asked me to continue with more classes in January. I also attended a local community ballroom event hosted once a month by Magnolia Ballroom. They've asked me to do a workshop and exhibition in January as well. Yea for teaching and for extra cash!
I think that's about it. Anything I've missed??

No comments: