Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Color Purple

I posted yet another video to YouTube. Y'all, this video began as a 25 minute long video!! I gab rediculously while filming myself, apparently. I had to edit out so much and I do really wish I could have been more concise so you could see the other lipglosses I talked about.
I wanted to share this because, once again, I am learning new things and I wanted to pass on what I'm learning, just in case there are other clueless souls out there like me when it comes to makeup. My latest discoveries are mixing lip colors, trying one new color family in particular and layering lipstick with lipgloss.
The other products not mentioned in the video that I had an opinion about are:

-Neutrogena MoistureShine lipglosses in Whisper and Groove.
I really liked the creamy texture of this gloss and did notice that I didn't need to reapply as often as expected. I don't know what they smell like... maybe some sort of healthy, grainy cereal like my mom and dad might have in their cabinet. I'm not a fan really. They have the typical "doe foot" applicator, which a lot of the makeup gurus seem to shun, but works just fine for me.
These two colors are on the lighter end of the spectrum and are very pretty in the tubes. I thought Whisper might make for a nice glossy nude lip, but ended up washing me out too much. It looks like I put concealer on my lips and then a clear gloss over it. Just didn't flatter me at all. I do find, though, that it's great for toning down brighter colors, making them more neutral and wearable.
Groove is a really beautiful soft pink, but I didn't feel like it looked a whole lot different than Whisper on my lips. (I'd like to wear that color, or paint it on a wall. It's really, really pretty) It does look nice paired with a pink blush, like my NARS Orgasm blush or my Bare Minerals True All Over Face Color to give the pink some oomph.

-Stila mini lipglaze set in Brown Sugar, Apricot and Starfruit
I have seen so much hype about these lipglazes on YouTube and jumped at the chance to get three for $8 from the Sephora website. I'm glad I didn't invest more in them. As far as I can tell, these are scented and each color smells different. I'm not opposed to any of them so far. They have a brush at one end and a rotating dial at the other that clicks as you push product into the brush. I tend to find product oozing from the brush (fortunately, there is a cap) when I return a day later for the next application. Not a great design for me.
Apricot and Starfruit are peach and pink respectively, but so sheer that I might as well be wearing a really sticky chapstick. Now, sometimes a sticky lipgloss is good, because it's not going to slide off your lips. Not really my preference though.
The Brown Sugar color does actually deposit color on my lips. I get a nice glossy... um... brown sugar color. It's very aptly named, I must say. I don't have any brownish lipcolor in my collection, so it's nice to have that option now, if I want it. I can see wearing it with bronzes, taupes and other neutrals for a nice look.

Watch here.

No comments: