Friday, July 16, 2010

Job Hunt - The Memories

Browsing the Anthropologie website this morning got me thinking about my days of job applications, interviews and employment.  I don't know if I'll ever revisit those days again, but I was wondering, if I ever did have the option, where I would put in applications.
I remember being so desperate for ANY sort of job... well, not desperate enough to not be somewhat discriminatory about the applications I filled out.  I remember walking the mall and bringing home 25 pieces of paper to fill out and planning to fill out 5 or 6 more online as well.  
I remember taking them all back and being frustrated by not being able to see a manager and no way to find out if the store was even hiring at that time.  Everyone was so vague.  And, of course, the current employees had no interest in truly helping me.
I remember thinking an interview went well and never getting a call.
I remember being offered the position of manager, but then being told that the pay was only 50 cents more and hour and no holidays off.  No thanks.
I remember filling out an online application with all sorts of moral questions about honesty and integrity and thinking that my answers were definitely going to be more than satisfactory.  A few days later I was told that my online quetionairre answers were not acceptable and that I could try again in a couple of weeks.  I did.  I got the same response.  What?  Why don't they want an employee with high moral standards?  Did they think I was lying because no one really could answer like that honestly?  I still wonder... and I'm still offended.
I remember working for the Disney Store and what a really, truly fun and positive environment it was.  I wanted to keep working there and rise through the ranks to become a manager, but then I went to college.  Bummer.  :D
I remember, while in college, getting fired from not one but two different jobs.  That hurt my heart even though, in both instances, it was a mistake on the part of the manager and not me.  The first time, I was fired because I didn't show up when the manager thought I was on the schedule, but I really wasn't.  The mistake was recognized and I was offered the job back, but I just couldn't bring myself to work with someone like that.
The second time, I was fired because I showed up ready to work because I couldn't remember if I was working that day and I didn't want to miss a shift if I was supposed to be there.  What?  Yes, you read that right.  The manager saw me there and asked me why I showed up when I wasn't on the schedule.  I told her I wasn't sure about my schedule. I just wanted to come check so I didn't accidentally miss a shift.  She fired me on the spot.
Ah, the joys of working hourly wage jobs.
So back to my original thought.  I was thinking I would like to work at Anthropologie a couple days a week.  It's funny, even though I'm 30 now, just the thought of job applications takes me right back to my late teens, early twenties.
I guess I'll keep my current day job for now.

No comments: