Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Expectorating

Why do people spit? I can understand it if they chew... even though I don't understand why anyone would chew. I remember when I was a little girl, my dad used to help me dry off after my shower at night before bed and then he would help with my pj's and read to me. I must have seen someone spitting and thought I might like to try it. I guess kids just get ideas and don't really have reasons. It's just part of exploration. I knew not to spit outside and came to the conclusion that during a shower would be a good time to try. I was seeing how far I could direct it and wasn't really doing all that well. After my dad came in to dry me off, I stepped out and decided to try to spit back into the shower. He was not to happy about that. Here's his 4 or 5 year old girl spitting like she's waiting for her turn to bat! It's a bit of a blur what happened after that, but, suffice it to say, I was told that that wasn't very ladylike behavior.
So why do people spit? Can anyone tell me? I was waiting for Chuck to come out of the hospital yesterday, already contemplating writing a blog about this very topic and out walks this guy and promplty spits into the bushes right outside the hospital doors.
I just don't get it. Anyone got any ideas?

2 comments:

gifton said...

LOL. Very random blog topic. But interesting to think about. I like it! Hmmm... I think it's a manly thing to do.. you always see baseball players do it right? (I don't watch a whole lot of baseball but I'm pretty sure). Maybe when they run bases they get some bugs in their teeth and they have to get them out? The world may never know...

Sarah said...

sigh, sadly to say, I spit for a while about the time I met Chad. It had nothing to do with him, and he married me anyway, he just made fun of me for a good while. It all started because I'd get phlem in my throat and I hate swallowing it because it always made me sick, so I spat. It didn't help that I've always liked the tomboy in me and have always wanted to appear "tough", but I broke the habit and am not so insecure about being called a sissy anymore. Besides, it's inconvenient in dance classes. ;)